Bow thrusters are beneficial propulsion systems that help boaters maneuver out of a tight space, keep the front of the boat straight, and even add value to a vessel. There is a lot to consider before adding one to any ship. They are a significant investment, so you want to make sure you choose the right ones and install them correctly for the best result. So, what does a bow thruster do, and how do they work? Let’s answer these questions and more as we learn more about bow thrusters.
What are Bow Thrusters?
A bow thruster is a propulsion device providing lateral thrust to help when sailing through the water. Since the propellers face sideways, they can move the boat from side to side without changing direction. Also, if you have both bow and stern thrusters, you can move your entire vessel in a sideways direction, instead of just the bow. This can be very helpful for docking in tricky areas.
How are Bow Thrusters Powered?
Bow thrusters don’t connect to the boat’s primary power system; instead, they need to provide their own source. The two main options for bow thruster motors are electric or hydraulic. Electric units offer finer power flow control and do not rely on the engine directly. While installing electric thrusters is pretty simple, the motor adds more weight to the bow. Hydraulic thrusters are lighter but require more components, making installation much more complex. Also, a hydraulic system requires the engine to idle for full power, which can hinder other maneuvering functions.
Benefits of Bow Thrusters
Bow thrusters provide many benefits that can outweigh the cons. Boat owners fit their boat with these helpful devices for a variety of reasons, including:
- Protects from high winds: with thrusters fitted, you won’t need to worry about strong winds sending you off course.
- Strong currents: side thrust helps fight against strong currents at sea and at the dock
- Crowded dock: when using a thruster, you don’t need forward motion to move the boat into position.
- Confidence: a thruster can greatly improve a boater’s confidence in knowing they can handle their boat in any weather condition. With bow thrusters, you don’t need to rely on having a crew to help with docking.
- Return on investment: thrusters are valuable and can make your boat more attractive when you put it up for sale.
- Increased boat usage: having bow thrusters can mean the difference between taking the boat out and staying home because weather conditions aren’t ideal.
Marine Electric Systems, LLC is a Leader In the Maritime Industry
We here at Marine Electric Systems have over 30 years of industry experience. You can trust our team for reliable service and expert craftsmanship in the Maryland, Baltimore, Annapolis, and Baltimore city areas! We’re highly certified and adhere to all ABYC and NMEA regulations. We specialize in top-notch electrical solutions for recreational, commercial, and government boating clients. Anything from electrical refits, to navigation systems, or boating maintenance. To stay up to date on our services, follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. You can also contact us at 410-263-0807.